Art & Design
Subject Leads: Mrs Moore (Infant School) and Mrs Lancashire (Junior School)
Art has the role in education of helping children become more like themselves instead of more like everyone else.’ Sydney Gurewitz Clemens
Skills of a great art and design student:
- An ability to explore, communicate and express themselves, ideas and feelings through drawing and a wide range of different media
- Perseverance to work hard improve their skill and technique in drawing, painting and sculpting with a range of materials
- Confidence to experiment with their own, individual artistic representation and style
- Skilful observation
- Critical thinking to evaluate their own pieces of art and design
- Computing skills and knowledge to experiment and develop their ideas and creativity through digital media
- An understanding and knowledge of different artists and designers, their style, history and impact upon the world.
Our intent for art and design:
At St. Mary's, we are committed to engaging, inspiring and challenging all pupils and equipping them with the skills and knowledge to experiment, invent and create their own works of art and design.
We want all children to feel that they can be creative, express themselves, record their ideas and find success through art and design. An important part of our vision also lies with our commitment to boosting the confidence and cultural capital of all our children. Providing them with a rich tapestry of experiences is key.
Key strands within the Art curriculum:
- Use of IT
- Knowledge (including that of artists/designers, their history, style and impact)
Art and Design at St. Marys:
At St. Mary's, we are passionate about developing and promoting art, craft and design through an enjoyable, creative and cross curricular approach. Exploring their ideas, knowledge and understanding from other subjects allows pupils to make links and consolidate their thinking in a creative way. We are also aware of the impact that art can have upon pupil wellbeing.
As part of our ongoing commitment to the teaching of both the visual and performing arts, the Infant school are currently working towards the bronze accreditation of Artsmark.