Art & Design
Subject Leads: Miss Rigby (Infant School) and Mrs Robb (Junior School)
Our intent for Art and Design:
At St Mary’s, through our teaching of Art and Design, we aim to:
- Provide quality first teaching of Art and Design for our children.
- Produce creative work, exploring children’s ideas and recording their experiences.
- Enable children to become proficient in drawing, painting, sculpture and other art, craft and design techniques.
- Teach children how to evaluate and analyse creative works using the language of art, craft and design.
Expose them to great artists, craft makers and designers, and help them to understand the historical and cultural development of their art forms.
Key strands within the Art curriculum:
- Use of IT
- Knowledge (including that of artists/designers, their history, style and impact)
Art and Design at St. Marys:
At St. Mary's, we are passionate about developing and promoting art, craft and design through an enjoyable, creative and cross curricular approach. Exploring their ideas, knowledge and understanding from other subjects allows pupils to make links and consolidate their thinking in a creative way. We are also aware of the impact that art can have upon pupil wellbeing.
As part of our ongoing commitment to the teaching of both the visual and performing arts, the Infant school are currently working towards the bronze accreditation of Artsmark.
We use Kapow Primary to deliver our Art and Design curriculum. For further information regarding our Art & Design curriculum at the Infants, please contact Mrs Moore (Subject Lead) or Mrs Grange (Head of School) via the School Office. For further information regarding our Art & Design curriculum, please contact Mrs Robb (Subject Lead) or Mrs Follin (Head of School) via the School Office.