Subject Leads: Mr Beech (Infant School) & Mrs Risley (Junior School)
Our intent for Computing:
At St Mary’s, through our teaching of Computing we aim to:
- Provide high quality Computing lessons
- Ensure our curriculum is progressive and varied, building on pupils’ knowledge year by year.
- Respond to children’s interests
- Provide experiences of using a range of hardware and software, with an understanding of how to do this safely.
- Provide the opportunity to develop relevant life skills and to be able apply them in future.
- Instil a curiosity and love of learning about how computerised technology works and is managed.
The main strands to the Computing curriculum:
- Computer Science - in which children are given the opportunity to explore how applications and software are made through programming (coding) and how things actually work “under the bonnet” of our digital devices. They will develop their creativity, computational thinking and logic, to design digital solutions for the world around them.
- Information Technology - in which children will use applications and develop their word processing skills to present their ideas. They will work creatively, linking with many of the other subjects in the wider curriculum, using a wide range of apps to create, save and retrieve data, music, art, photography, animations and their written work (plus more!).
- Digital Literacy - in which children will become confident, creative, respectful, responsible online users. Children will develop online skills to safely explore, safely manage their own online image and their online relationships. They will also develop their understanding of the World Wide Web and the Internet it is built on. The children will also connect to many of the other curriculum subjects via their own research.
At St. Mary's, we follow the Kapow scheme of work for Computing. Our Computing curriculum aims to instil a sense of enjoyment around using technology and to develop children's appreciation of its capabilities and the opportunities technology offers to create, manage, organise and collaborate. For further information regarding our Computing curriculum at the Infants, please contact Mr Beech (Subject Lead) or Mrs Grange (Head of School) via the Infant School Office. For further information regarding our KS2 Computing curriculum, please contact Mrs Risley (Subject Lead) or Mrs Follin (Head of School) via the Junior School Office.
Click here for more information and advice on online safety.