Design and Technology
Subject Leads: Mr Beech (Infant School) and Mrs Risley (Junior School)
Our intent for Design Technology:
At St Mary’s, through our teaching of Design and Technology, we aim to:
- Provide high quality Design and Technology lessons
- Ensure our curriculum is progressive and varied, building on pupils’ knowledge year by year.
- Respond to children’s interests
- Provide experiences of using a range of materials and tools safely.
- Provide the opportunity to develop relevant life skills and to be able apply them in future.
- Instil a curiosity and love of learning about how products around them work and are manufactured.
The key strands for Design Technology are:
- Design - researching need and existing products, planning, communicating, innovating, developing, use of technology to aid the design process
- Make - selecting and working with a range of tools, equipment, materials and components to make a quality product/food for an intended purpose
- Evaluate - compare against designs and plans. Understand how key events and individuals in design and technology have helped shape the world
- Technical knowledge - applying their understanding of computing, mechanical systems (e.g. levers, linkages, gears) and electrical systems (e.g. switches, bulbs, motors etc) to their products.
Through a variety of creative and practical activities, pupils are taught the knowledge, understanding and skills needed to engage in and follow the process for effective design technology
At St. Mary's we follow the Kapow scheme of work for Design Technology. Our curriculum aims to provide a pathway of progression throughout their school journey, giving plenty of opportunities to explore and evaluate existing products and looking at the work of significant designers and creators. For further information regarding the Design Technology curriculum at the Infants, please contact Mr Beech (Subject Lead) or Mrs Grange (Head of School) via the Infant School Office. For further information regarding our KS2 Design Technology curriculum, please contact Mrs Risley (Subject Lead) or Mrs Follin (Head of School) via the Junior School Office.